Thursday, June 2, 2011

Eastern Hognose Snake...




I went a couple of weeks ago and as I was walking out behind the barn I looked on the ground and there lay a a garter snake(I thought)!  So I was like, "oh, no big deal".  So I called the dog over to me and the snake was being so still that the dog didn't even know it was there(he sat down 4 inches from it and started scratching his neck)!  Then the dog finally saw it and the snake knew it so it got up and started flattening it's neck out like a cobra.  But I thought, "man, that's one little cobra"!  So I went in and got the 22.  I thought, "what are you thinking Shiloh--you wouldn't shoot a snake with that!".  So I got the 30-30 and some shells.  So, when I walk out of the house I hear---"Shiloh, the snake is getting away!".  So I walk a little faster.  Once I get to it,  it's already under a pile of pine branches.  So the snake lady(my mom), lifts the branches up while I'm ready to shoot.  After about 30 seconds or so, I finally see the head poking out.  I didn't end up hitting it in the head because it's head was so little(well, what did you expect?  It's the best excuse I could think of!), but managed to hit it closer to the tail end.  From the looks of it, we thought it was dead.  Umm,-no.  Here Isaac is carrying a live cobra up to the house so we could look at it.  I guess I didn't think that a measley snake like that could survive what I put through him.  But he did.  So we looked it up and found out it was a eastern hognose.  Actually, they're not even venomous to humans!  There we were being all cautious and everything.  They rarely strike at people, and if they do, it's with their mouth closed.  After taking a couple pictures, I went ahead and put it out of it's misery.  ~~What would we do without 1x4's!?~~
P.S. Watch the snakes body very closely in the video!

There's another post below!

No comments:

Post a Comment