Thursday, October 6, 2011

Getting Ready.........!!!

   Oh wow, how fast this past year has gone by!  It seems like yesterday that we were at October camp.  But really, it was yesterday(plus 368 days). 
   We have been "preparing the deer" for deer season, which is right now. I'm seeing more and more deer on our property as the temperature is dropping.  This morning, when I went to feed the deer their breakfast,(corn) I walked up on two deer.  One went crashing through the underbrush and trees before I could get a good look at it, and the other just raised it's head and looked around, as if it was confirming if it was going to make a mad dash away from something sensible or not.  Once it's eyes locked on to the "frozen-in-my-tracks"outline of myself, there was no unlocking them.  It stared with eyes that seemed to pierce right through me for probably 10 seconds.  I was so still.  Then, I did the unthinkable.  I dropped my "deer breakfast", and sprinted towards the doe.  The half of a split second she saw me move, she was off like a shot.  I ran, she ran.  She turned, I turned.  At one time, I got close enough to touch her.  Then, the doe, build for sprints, not marathons, started slowing, as I just got faster.  Finally, I got so close I leaped for the doe's ears.  Slow motion..................Just kidding, that didn't happen.  Everything was true all the way up to the words, "then I did the unthinkable".  But this is true.  Once she saw me blink, she was gone, snorting all the way back deep into the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment